Sunday 16 June 2013

My little veg patch

I thought I would do a post about my tiny little veg patch! I definitely do not have green thumbs and more or less do not know what I am doing when it comes to gardening. Our flat came with a tiny little front garden, which I think is really meant to be more ornamental than anything else. All the other front gardens on our street just have stones and maybe a bay tree - so this is perhaps not the done thing.

Anyway, Theo built the little raised bed for me, using some scaffolding boards from Brighton Wood Recycling Centre. I was really surprised how reasonably priced they were - I think we got everything we needed for about 30 quid. We also stained it a light blue colour - nautical blue for the seaside and also something to weatherproof it.

I bought some seedlings (lettuces, cabbages, rosemary, sage, lavendar, nasturtiums, leeks, thyme, coriander) and also planted some seeds (radishes, baby leeks, spring onions, carrots). I used a planting plan from the River Cottage Veg Patch book which is a really great book for basic info.

Amazingly everything seems to be thriving! Perhaps with the exception of my rosemary which doesn't look quite as healthy as everything else. Anyway, the first pic is from week 1 and the second pic is from week 4 - really satisfying!

I'm so pleased that we've managed to make good use of an otherwise wasted space. I used the first of my produce last night by putting some coriander in my stir fry - absolutely delicious!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment