Sunday 9 December 2012

Wedding dress

Wow, well it has been a really long time since I posted on this blog! But a lot has happened since then. One of the major projects I undertook this year was making my sister in law's wedding dress. It took almost a year to design from scratch and make. 

I made the bodice using steel corsetry bones - my first time deviating from the horrible plastic boning you usually get in haberdasheries. It was absolutely lovely to use, and as it moves in all directions, you get a much more natural shape with it that really follows the curves of the body. We bought all the fabric on Goldhawk Road in London, including the lace. I cut out all the lace motifs individually and sewed them onto the dress, along with some white bridal sequins that gave the dress a gorgeous shimmer in the light. She also wanted the traditional little white buttons down the back, so I added those over the top of a zip for added security. It was my first time making a bridal gown, so we had to go to some wedding dress shops so that I could sneak a look at the construction. In the end, this dress had about 7 layers to it to get the shape we wanted, including two layers of gathered tulle to puff out the fishtail. She looked really lovely in it, and most importantly, really happy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment