Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Triangles quilt

And so....drumroll please....I have completed my first proper patchwork quilt! It was a labour of love and took me aaaages and is also far from perfect. However, I am very pleased with it. 

It was inspired by this beautiful quilt which looks far more perfect than mine! 

Part of the beauty of this for me is that the quilt front is pieced from fabric scraps that I've been hoarding for the past 15 years or so - so it's really meaningful for me to be able to see them every day, and that I've finally managed to find a project that is able to use up all the little tiny pieces. I knew I'd find a use for them one day! 

The back is made from an old duvet cover - I love the print and didn't want to throw it away! So it's been re-fashioned. I did buy a few little bits of fabric to finish off the back - including a lovely bit of Liberty print (Mitsi I think it's called - a Japanese flower print). 

The binding was an absolute delight to do. I had been dreading it, until I found this great tutorial which walks you through step by step. I decided to finish the back binding edge by hand, and I'm glad I did as it has given a really clean finish. I then read lots of information on blogs about whether to put it in the dryer or not. In the end I decided I would put it in the dryer, and it's given it that lovely crinkled look, which is what I was after. I used a bamboo batting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment